Problems with Sketchup 2019 walls and floors

Hi.
I’m trying to import some apartment models from SketchUp 2019 and 2018, and I have problems with the walls and floor, they aren’t being exported at all (see pictures attached).
I’ve triend with many others models and the problem is constant.
In this link you can download one of them: Download here

I need help ASAP with this issue, since this project is for a client. Please help!!
Thanks!.

I have experienced the same issue on several Sketchup models. The only way I was able to fix it is to manually re-create the walls/floors in Sketchup.
Hopefully there is a better way.

1 Like

Can you check the orientation of these faces, it looks like they can be reversed.This doc: https://help.shapespark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009249778-Some-faces-of-a-3D-model-are-not-visible-in-Shapespark explains how to fix this.

2 Likes

Thanks! yes, the problem was that the walls and floors were reversed.
Now this open a new question. There are some models, for example trees, that are made of 1 layer, so that means only 1 side is going to be visible when rendered and the other one is going to be black.
How do you work with this?

You can mark the material as Double sided in the Shapespark editor Materials tab. This works OK for small objects, such as leaves, but not for larger ones like walls.

thanks for that tip!
Now check this (new things comming lol) after baking a model it looks with a lot of grain. How can I fix it?
You all have been very kind and helpful, I really appreciate it.

@jeanc20, could you upload this scene, so we could take a look?

Is the model scale correct in SketchUp?

The model I downloaded from HERE
I fix it clicking on Post-Process.
Also, how can I activate the colission to avoid going through the walls?

If you open the scene outside of the edit mode the collisions will work. In editor the collisions are disabled to make the navigation more convenient.

Thanks all of you guys. Just a last question.
I have an architect that will work the Sketchup model for me, so I only have to import it, but I don’t know how to use Sketchup at all.
What considerations and warnings I have to tell to my architect, in order to have a perfect and smooth transition to Shapespark without any errors.

So far I know that the faces of all furniture and walls have to be facing outside, but there’s any issue with materials or something like that?

Please give me the advices for a perfect transition to Shapespark, it will help me A LOT.

Thanks again, you’re all great

The most common approach is for the same person to create a model and work with Shapespark, this way the model can be updated iteratively if problems are found. Besides the reversed faces, the common problems are:

• Small holes between walls. Such holes cause light from the outside to leak into the interior which results in bright stripes inside.
  • The ends of the walls extend a bit below the floor or above the ceiling. This can also produce bright stripes in the interior due to limited lightmap resolution. A small part of the wall that is outiside of the interior will receive strong exterior light, but because lightmap pixel has limited resolution this brightness will be also visible inside.
  • Windows glass with too high opacity. SketchUp models often use non physical opacity for glass, like 0.3. Such value means that the windows block 30% of light , which causes the interior to be too dark. The opacity can be adjusted in SketchUp or in Shapespark editor.
  • Overlapping surfaces that cause z-fighting. This is described here: https://help.shapespark.com/hc/en-us/articles/360009198277-Flickering-artifacts-on-some-surfaces
  • Too complex geometry. It is best too keep the geometry size below 2 million triangles, if this limit is not feasible, below 5 million should still work OK on recent mobile devices. Things like beds, pillows, curtains often have complex geometries.
  • Too many objects in the scene. This is less common, but we’ve seen plants in which each leave is modeled as a separate object. Shapespark automatically merges objects together, so in most cases you don’t need to worry about too many objects, but if the number of objects is above 20000 even with the merging logic the scene can have performance problems.

Sorry for the late response. Thanks for the suggestions.
Now that I’m rendering a model, that was made on Sketchup 2017, and I’m using 2018, an error appears and don’t let me export to Shapeshark.

What can I do?

It looks like SketchUp has problems with extracting one of the textures from the model (.skp file) into a stand-alone texture file. In the future Shapespark versions we will modify our SketchUp extension to ignore textures that cannot be exported, but for now you have to remove this texture from the model manually.

If you shared the .skp file with us (eg. via https://www.wetransfer.com ) we would help you identify which material this problematic texture belongs to.

Thank for your help @wojtek, you can download the .skp file HERE

Hi, the problematic material is 01___Default1.

Could you extract the texture from this material into a file using the button marked below?

Then, save the texture as a JPG or PNG file, and set the texture from this new file?

That solved the problem @wojtek, I appreciate your help. How can I now what material is giving me problems in the future?

Now, you would have to go through each material in SketchUp and find which one has a texture with file name like in the error message.

But, as said above, in the future version of Shapespark the export will not fail if it encounters such a problematic texture. Instead, it will turn the problematic material into solid red, and you’ll be able to learn in the Shapespark editor that there is a problem with some texture.