Textures corrupted after baking?

Hey devs, I’m running into a strange issue. I have a texture pool setup for my wood flooring and after baking, two of the four textures appear to be corrupted in odd ways. One is somehow displaying some bizarre amalgam of other textures (applied to other materials) on it, and the other is stretched and distorted. Both seemed to have been filled in with black shadow in the living room and other areas. Only screenshots can describe what I’m seeing.

Tex 1 is good

Tex 2 is good

Tex 3 is wack

Tex 4 is wack

This seems to be the same issue as the one described in this post: Textured problems - #4 by wojtek

Let us know if it helped.

I don’t think I understand what you’re suggesting in the link: To change the scale of the UV tiles of the texture pools? I don’t see how that would relate to my issue. In the screenshot, textures from the plant material are somehow being combined with textures from the wood flooring. They aren’t the same object. This is the first time we’ve come across this issue.

To clarify, two of the four floor materials are working fine and the second one has a similar UV mapped square texture pool object as the other two that are corrupted.

Yes, please shrink the UV mapping of these two problematic texture pool squares a bit. When you look at the texture pool square, you should see that the texture is repeated/tiled on the square.

For example, on the below screenshot taken in SketchUp you can see that the texture is repeated roughly 3 times horizontally and 3 times vertically on the square:

If a texture isn’t tiled anywhere in the model it is packed into a texture atlas when the scene is uploaded. If a texture becomes a part of an atlas, tiling no longer works, so such a texture cannot be used in a material picker for objects with tiling. So, a rule of thumb is that a texture pool square should always have UV mapping which repeats/tiles the texture.

Ah, I think I understand. Hence the requirement to have two texture tiles for each material in the pool; one that has it’s UVs tiled greater than 0-1 UV space (what you’re calling ‘repeats the texture’) so that its texture atlas is packed correctly, and another that is UV mapped not-tiled (i.e. within 0-1 UV space) so that the auto-texture scaling doesn’t down sample it to too low resolution. I think I finally get it now. It’s convoluted and unnecessarily complex, but I now understand how it’s working behind the curtain. I do wish there was a better, easier way.