Safe polygon count

Hallo again.

Do You have any statistics on safe polygon count for mobile that should be handled by most of the most popular smartphones in Central Europe (Poland)? Can be approximate, just need to know boundaries :slight_smile:

Maybe we can share our experiences here because I don’t think that it is possible that the developers own all active/popular devices which are used by the people in all these countries.

I know that up to 6 million polygons can be handled by an iPhone 6+ and above and an iPad air 2. 11 million are too much for both. But maybe this can be different by using smaller texture sizes. Or without textures.

1 Like

We don’t have detailed statistics to share. Keeping the triangle count below 2mln is a conservative choice that should work on most mobile devices. As Tim wrote, higher end mobile devices can handle scenes with 5+million triangles.

The most expensive resources are lightmaps, so if it is possible, try to have only one lightmap.

1 Like

Thanks. For now it works smooth :wink:

Just for the record: my client had problems with displaying parts of the model, when more than 500 000 verticles (somewhere about, didn’t really count) had to be displayed on the screen.
Other parts worked wine. Might be important for others to know that when planning the scene.

Btw. how can I reduce the number of lightmaps?
For now in img\large\std I can see only one…

so actually how can I achieve more of them? (just for the record, if the question has been asked and answered already please let me know)

Just for the record: my client had problems with displaying parts of the model, when more than 500 000 verticles (somewhere about, didn’t really count) had to be displayed on the screen.
Other parts worked wine. Might be important for others to know that when planning the scene.

Do you still have a version of the scene for which this problem happened so we can test it?

Btw. how can I reduce the number of lightmaps?
For now in img\large\std I can see only one…

so actually how can I achieve more of them? (just for the record, if the question has been asked and answered already please let me know)

The bake progress bar also shows how many lightmaps there will be (Baking lightmap 1 of X message). The number increased when you increase the lightmap resolution (globally in the Bake tab or per object in the Objects tab).

No problem:
https://mfarys.shapespark.com/stc-cooking-area-71/

It happens mostly when You have the island visible - it has a few high poly objects, the oven is quite detailed as well. Had the same problem on my M4 Aqua.