Thought I would add a wishlist to the mix

It might be cool if you guys put together a public Trello board, that way users could upvote development tasks they think are most important? Could be a good way to gauge what the user community really wants and what development items are less important.

2 Likes

I would like to be able to add annotations to the views

2 Likes

@tedvitale: Trelo board is a great idea, but I would wait until the new forum gains some popularity before we introduce one more communication channel.

@bray: By annotations do you mean some additional text attached to each view? Where would you like the annotations to appear? Looking at the screenshot that you have posted in this thread: Black background you used the default view names ‘view’, ‘view2’, etc. You’ve probably discovered this, but you can change these names to something more meaningful.

1 Like

I think it would be great to have a marker for annotations. An icon that can be placed on a surface/object which provides further information by clicking on it.

1 Like

annotations to add more description to the elements of the design, dimension, materiel,etc.
similar to the sticky notes in PDF

1 Like

I’ve just noticed a new item:

Technically this is already possible because you can upload a scene with custom index.html, which allows to change the viewer styling in many ways. But the feature is hard to use in practice, so I would rephrase this request to ‘Make it easier to customize scene’s index.html’.

I wondered if that was a possibility, but hadn’t explored it. Time to start experimenting again!

With a growing amount of projects and tests, the start screen of Shapesparks gets a bit unclear now. I think it would be nice to have the option to add folders or something to give more structure to the project overview.

1 Like

It would be nice to be able to change navigation from orbit to walk without having to make a new view, or having the orbit camera stay on view without changing position to the sky

Also having a still shot generator without the overlays of the view menus

@tim would a filter input box be sufficient, so if you type something only scenes that match are shown?

@bray Until we directly support generating a still shot without the overlays, you can hide the overlays with the m key, switch to full screen with f and take the screenshot with the Print screen key.

or if you need a different resolution, the newest Firefox has a nice way to take a screenshot of any part of the browser window: Take screenshots on Firefox | Firefox Help (also use the ‘m’ key to hide the overlays).

@jan A filter would be a nice addition, I think. :blush:

It would be nice to store scenes in a folder, like “Client A”, “Test exterior”, …
I think with more than 20 or 30 or even more projects it will be hard to remember a name. Especially when they were done a year ago. But maybe you have a better solution.

is there a way to produce Non perspective views? like top, front,back left and right

Lots of interesting ideas that I agree with. I would add 2 more:

1. Normal maps/bump maps that influence lighting - an efficent way to add more detail to the surfaces

2. VR mode in the editor - now it works only on a published project in VR capable browser

From the mentioned above the biggest time savers for me would be a color picker and transform gizmos for lights, light probes and if possible also for geometry and ability to add to and remove individual meshes from the scene.

3 Likes

@bray no, only perspective views are supported

It would be good to be able to turn off shadow casting and receiving per object or group
like you can in sketch up

@bray shadow receiving can be turned-off by setting Custom lightmap resolution to 0 in the Objects tab. Disabling shadow casting can be achieved but only per material, not per object. You can make a material fully transparent (Materials tab, Opacity setting) for the time of baking and after the baking you can change it back to opaque.

What is your use case for such two options?

@tedvitale I think this is an excellent list and would like to add my comments…

Although, I do not use this much myself, I think it would be great for many other users. :+1:

:+1:

I agree with the ground in particular, there are times when I would like to restrict the user from going “below ground”. May there could also be a restriction on how you can orbit (setting limit so you cannot see the bottom as an example).

To me, this is one of the weakest points of the exiting UI. It would be nice if there was a popup screen to allow you to pick the color visually. :+1:

Interesting suggestion. Not sure how I would use this one.

:+1: I have some situations where I would like to be able to show some water or foam spraying.

• Animation I would also like to be able to animate the model. This would include needing the ability to animate at multiple levels (i.e. animate components and subcomponents).

I think for any kind of product presentations or for interior decorators (as just 2 examples) the ability to interactively modify a material, or even replace an object, this is very important. :+1:

No comment on this one.

Sounds interesting…

:+1::+1::+1: This would really be a great update to the SketchUp plugin.

:+1::+1: Could not agree more.

:+1::+1::+1: I think it would also be interesting if you could click on an object and then have the ability to move or rotate the object with the cursor. Resizing/scaling and object would also be a valuable asset.

No particular comment.

:+1: Additionally, I would like the ability to have interactive objects that could trigger “popup” windows to further describe something in the model (i.e. manufacturer, options available, more details about the object, or even a link to an external source).

Again, I think you have a very good list and hope Shapespark will take not of your suggestions.

It also might be a cool thing to connect models with hotspots. So I can, for example, enter an interior from an exterior scene. Kind of loading a new level into the scene. Or have a multi-storage house where I can load apartments as required.

2 Likes

You know, we do this in Unreal all the time, and that would be incredibly useful! Great suggestion Tim!

When you are viewing a scene/model that has multiple views, it would be nice if the “view” that is selected (the one you are viewing) was highlighted in some way. Just looked at a post in another thread that had a lot of views. When I went from one view to another, I could not tell which view I was viewing.

1 Like