VR Headset - Oculus Quest

Hi. I’m thinking to buy VR headset Oculus Quest. I know there was some problem before with quality, does anyone have Oculus Quest and noticed better quality, is it wort to buy it to see virtual walkthroughs on it?
My idea is to buy it to show clients their dream homes, even on PC they don’t feel fully interior space, so I was hoped that VR googles will help.
Also did anyone tried to buy VR goggles and rent them to clients (some live to far to go to them so I was thinking to rent it for some time to they can view virtual tour on them and then send back).
Thanks
Gabbi

Do you refer to lower quality of Oculus Quest vs. desktop VR headsets (eg. Oculus Rift) in general, or to some particular quality issue mentioned on the forum?

The most recent opinion about general quality I can find is: VR Headset ( For Phone and PC ) - #8 by njay

The major issue with VR experiences we had is VR Perspective seems strange, but it applied to all the devices, and it was fixed a few months ago.

Some time ago, @Random reported significant performance drop in Oculus Quest : Drop in Oculus Quest - ShapeSpark VR Quality but I cannot find a follow-up. @Random, has this issue been resolved eventually?

Hey Guys, the issue appears to be related to anti aliasing. It’s very obvious in tours with reflective surfaces, for me it’s been unusable. I had actually forgotten to respond to the previous question asking for more detail about the issue.

In saying that tho, @Ga_bi I 100% recommend still getting the Quest as it’s a great headset and works so well other than this issue, which I’m sure will be fixed at some point when the team can replicate it. Using the headset to pitch customers was a really great tool, so the system works fine and this issue only happened in an update at some point.

1 Like

@Ga_bi We have and do use Oculus Quest / Go / Rift S and the Vive Pro for shapespark and other Unreal Engine 4 projects and other than the GO, which is under-powered (so struggles processing some scenes) we have had excellent feedback and success.

VR browsers all work well on each device and other than a few features like loading hmtl triggers not being available in Shapespark VR the experience really is compelling.

Quest is obviously best for ease of use if you are not present, but I would caution that you need a good on-boarding document or video to explain how to use it if you are sending to someone who has limited or no experience of VR or the headset.

Also not sure how valuable hiring a quest would be as they are relatively inexpensive to buy, but we have seen between £40 & £100 per day quoted to hire. So may be sensible to buy one and loan it to your client, maybe with a deposit?

That may or may not work for you but just a thought.

1 Like

@Random,

do you mean that the aliasing issue appeared at some point? Do you recall a scene that without any modifications on your end started to suffer from aliasing issues while it had worked well previously? I am asking because we cannot identify any recent development that could cause such regression.

The problem with aliasing in VR is that a VR display is viewed from a very close distance. So, a single VR display pixel is covering much larger part of the human field of view than a single monitor pixel, which makes the aliasing issues more apparent. I am afraid that current mobile VR devices don’t have displays dense enough and GPUs powerful enough to leave much space for an improvement in this area.

Hi, yes I can think of 2 scenes that I don’t believe have had any changes to them but show the issue I’m talking about. I will email these to support.

@Random. OK, please send them to the support email address and we’ll take a look.

Hello, we are receiving an Oculus Quest 2 soon, do you think this will help with the jagged lines/ No MSAA?

Oculus Quest 2 has higher per-eye resolution: 1832 × 1920 compared to the original’s 1440 × 1600. It should help a bit, but I am afraid the aliasing problem will still be visible.