Artifacts on Laptop vs Desktop

Hi All, hope everyone is well.

Any help appreciated here.

@wojtek @jan

I have a scene which displays perfectly on my desktop machine, but when viewing on my laptop I get weird artifacts / Aliasing(??) circles.

See 2 images.

Can anyone help explain why this is displaying like this.

Both Screens are 4K with Desktop running a 2080ti GPU and the laptop a 3080 GPU, so both have power to run at full resolution.

I have tried appending the URL with #mobilehi on laptop in case it was an issue with hosting serving a mobile version to the laptop, but no difference.

Also seems to be laggy on on the laptop, but again can’t work out why as assume it is being served from the same server to device on same network.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions / advice

Hi!

It looks like a banding issue related to WebP lightmap compression. MayI have a few questions to help us troubleshoot the issue:

1. Are you using the same browser on both computers? Could you check if the issue is present in other browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer)?
  2. Is it on the laptop’s built-in display?
  3. Does the laptop have dual-GPU: integrated + NVIDIA? Could you check which GPU is used by the browser at WebGL Browser Report, WebGL Fingerprinting, WebGL 2 Test - BrowserLeaks (look for “Unmasked Renderer” field)?
  4. Could you connect laptop to the same display as the desktop computer and see if the issue is present?
  5. Could you check if the issue is present in this scene which doesn’t yet use WebP lightmaps: 3D scene ?

@wojtek thx

Answers below:

1. Are you using the same browser on both computers? Could you check if the issue is present in other browsers (Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Internet Explorer)? Yes same browser, issue present in Edge & Firefox also.

2. Is it on the laptop’s built-in display? Yes

3. Does the laptop have dual-GPU: integrated + NVIDIA? Yes

Could you check which GPU is used by the browser at WebGL Browser Report, WebGL Fingerprinting, WebGL 2 Test - BrowserLeaks (look for “Unmasked Renderer” field)? Integrated

1. Could you connect laptop to the same display as the desktop computer and see if the issue is present? Yes still present

2. Could you check if the issue is present in this scene which doesn’t yet use WebP lightmaps: 3D scene ? Yes

So from all the above I am guessing the issue is the use of integrated GPU as the desktop is using the Nvidia 2080ti. I will do a google search to establish how I force the browser on my machine to use the Nvidia 3080, which should resolve my own display issue?

However if this is an issue for me I assume it will therefore be the same for anyone who is accessing the scene with a lesser GPU?

If so is this fixable as to be honest it makes the quality well below what we would be happy providing to clients. (We have been testing Shapespark for a long time now, but most of the projects have been for clients internal planning projects where fidelity is less important. However we start on an outward facing project this month where fidelity does matter, so would be keen to understand any limitations)
NJay

Thanks for helping us in the investigation. So, the issue is not related to the WebP lightmap compression.

Could you assign the NVIDIA GPU to the browser: https://www.howtogeek.com/351522/how-to-choose-which-gpu-a-game-uses-on-windows-10/ and see if it helps? (You will need to close and restart all the browser windows after making the change.)

This would help us to confirm if the issue is specific to the integrated GPU.