Best option to bake

Hi guys,

What gives the best/fastest result to bake.
The cpu ore grapic card?
I have these two options:
-cpu intel core i7-7700hq cpu @2.80GHz
-cuda geforce gtx 1080 (display)

For me, I have seen that CUDA works the best. I also have an NVIDIA graphics card on my laptop but it is not as new/high powered as yours.

thanks for the fast help dave.

@ntxdave is right, especially that you have a powerful GPU. In your case baking with CUDA will be many times faster than with CPU.

I have an i7 7700 3.60 kaby lake and a 1080ti… wich is best?

Definitely, the 1080Ti. It should be a few times faster.

1 Like

@wojtek between 1080 ti and RTX 2080 (8gb), which one do you think is better for bakes. Planning to build a bake computer and is confused with gpu options. 1080 ti’s availability is a concern too. Also is the 2080 Ti (11 gb) worth the extra money wrt bake times. Please advice.

Shapespark does not yet support the RTX 20x0 family. We plan to add support by the end of November. Do you think you can wait until then, or do you need a new computer now?

May I ask what your current baking device is, what your baking times are and what baking times you would like to achieve? I am asking because usually the xx70 models have very good performance to price/ratio, so it may be the case that buying one or two 1070/2070 is a good solution.

One more thing: will you work on the computer and bake at the same time? Or will you leave the computer unattended for the time of baking? Baking on the GPU that is also used as a display device significantly decreases the computer responsiveness, so for bake & work scenario it might be better two have two GPUs.

@Prath_Walkthruit
Maybe I can share my experience here. I run a render PC for Shapespark with 3 Geforce GTX 1080 8GB. The CPU is an AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core with 3.50 GHz. Tests showed that baking with the 3 GPU is about 2.3 times faster than the CPU.

1 Like

Actually, my post is not correct. Tests showed that running a scene with 3 GPU is 2.3 times faster than 1 GPU. So that means that having 3 GPU doesn’t mean 3 times shorter baking times than with 1 GPU. I have to run another test to see the time gain compared baking with the CPU only. But I guess it will be 4-5 times faster. Maybe more.

@Prath_Walkthruit,

If you think you will mostly work at the time you bake, then it’d be best to have two graphics cards: a weaker one for display (eg. GTX 1050 Ti 4GB should be sufficient for most cases), and a stronger one for baking (the display one would not take part in baking).

If you think you will also bake leaving the computer unattended quite often, then it’d be best if the GPUs are identical, because dual-GPU baking works best for cards of the same performance. While working you would bake on just one of the GPUs. But for sole baking you could use them together, and then the baking phase should be 1.75-2 times faster than with a single GPU.

From the benchmarks I’ve seen (for example: NVIDIA GeForce RTX Performance In OctaneRender, Redshift & V-Ray – Techgage) it seems that RTX 2080 is a better option than GTX 1080 Ti, but from a performance/price option RTX 2070 or GTX 1080 seem to be a better choice.

Both the RTX 2070 and GTX 1080 should be 7-9 times faster than your current CPU during the baking phase (the RTX 2070 should be slightly faster).

1 Like

Hi,

Which would have faster baking times: (Just using the the pc for baking only)

2 x GTX 1080 Ti

or

1 x RTX 2080 Ti

Hi,

Two GTX 1080 Ti will be faster than a single RTX 2080 Ti.

@wojtek what factor/s are contributing - is it the total cuda cores? vram? bandwidth? other?
if you can list them in ranking?

The most important factor is the number of CUDA cores, however you have to also take into account that newer generation cores are faster than older generation cores, for example the Ampere cores (RTX 30xx) are faster than Turing cores (RTX 20xx).

GPU userbenchmark gives a good approximation for the relative baking speed comparison. Look at the “Effective speed” score, for example: UserBenchmark: Nvidia RTX 2060 vs 3080

@wojtek
Hello,
Is the 30 series card option supported? My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU (6G).

@wojtek when the GPU cuda utility shows 100% does it mean, having further more cuda cores shall be utilized effectively?

Can you run few benchmarks with few select cards for a given scene and help users decide better on what card to go far?

Yes.

Yes, baking can utilize all the CUDA cores.

We don’t have enough different cards to make such a benchmark, but as I mentioned earlier, you can use the “Compare” function of https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/ to get a rough estimate for which of the cards is baking faster and how much faster.

@wojtek - as per GPU usage monitor it is only CUDA and the RAM usage that I can visualize. Ex: The RAM usage is under 50% capacity and CUDA is 100% on rtx 3070. Shifting to 3090 with almost double the CUDA will boost the speed by 100%? or by the effective speed of around 53% as per the benchmark you ask to refer to?

The difference in baking speed will be around 53% as per the “Effective speed” comparison in the GPU UserBenchmark.

1 Like