Exterior grass test

I made a quick test of 2.5D grass that would be decently lightweigh and good looking in shapespark:

It consists of 3 layers of the ground with transparency, partialy showing the layers below.

10 Likes

Thank you Kuba for discovering and sharing this technique! The grass looks incredibly nice :smiley:

Great Work! I never would have thought to try that, but it looks really awesom!

Thank you guys for your kind words! It is surely not the last step - I will be working on it on the next project that involves some exterior surrounding and will share the results.

1 Like

Awesome technique! Will definitely use this in my projects.

How did you set up the alternate materials options?

hi kuba

can you share the texture file you use on those 3 layers of grass?

Thanks

Dexter

Unfortunately I can not share the textures with you. They are based on Poliigon textures so the license doesn’t allow to share/resell this textures. The transparency was created by editing the texture itself so the darker parts are only on the bottom layer and the lightest on the upper one. With some experimentation you should be able to get to similar results with any other grass texture.

1 Like

clapping-meme-gif-9

You may not find everything you are looking for on this site, but it is worth mentioning because of the quality PBR textures and CCO license - free use for commercial purposes, etc.

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing this site @Vladan! The textures looks really nice.

1 Like

You can visit https://source.substance3d.com/ many assets are free and many of them get good quality!

2 Likes

Does it take up much “power” when baking?

This is my grass version on Shapespark.

2 Likes

Hi @ralmeida
Very nice.

You can try grass (and sun rays) as in this example DeviantArt in webgl

Settings / Navigation / Orbit → First Person

1 Like

Hi @Vladan
Very good!!!
Same idea, but with planes almost vertical! Great solution!
I’ll try!

Thanks for the tip!

1 Like