Gratio Residence penthouse

Sharing with you guys my new scene that includes a luxury contemporary penthouse + the building facade + Starbucks and a sportscar dealer in the ground floor + streets and surrounding ghost buildings.

I did like: it’s possible to make the interiors and the entire facade (my clients don’t want only the interiors anymore)

I didn’t like: the bake processing took 27 hours :open_mouth:, probably because the bump I applied in the floor.

There’s still some improvements I can make, mainly with the ilumination, but I think the final result is pretty satisfactory, considering the size and varieties of the scene.

3 Likes

Very impressive! I like it.

Can you tell me more about the number of polygons and light maps?

1 Like

Did you reduce lightmap resolution for the big distant buildings? Rendering all of them in the same resolution as the interior might have extended your baking time so much. I don’t know what your hardware is but with proper settings it should render in 2-5 hours on a single nvidia 2080 GPU. 27h is definitely to much :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks @Vladan!

The scene has something like 2M polygons. I think if I had used low poly cars this number would be considerably lower, something like 1,5M.

About the lightmaps: 75 for interiors penthouse and all the cars, 5 for all the building, dealership, coffe shop and the main street, 2 for the rest.

@Kuba, this particularly scene was baked on a ordinary i5 laptop. Yes, I know that it’s far away form the ideal. Thanks for your words!

I love this work Anthoni, Beautiful,
how do you get the camera to adjust to the lower light, when you walk in and out of the balcony?

Thank you @James_Craig!

This effect is made with the camera volumes, in the “camera” editor tab. The reason is because the sun strenght (6) was pretty good for the interiors, but too bright for the exterior, so I placed a camera volume outside the balcony to reduce the exposure when leaving the apartment.

Hope that it helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

so much many things to learn and try.
I am loving this app!

2 Likes