Hardware recommendations for faster baking

Hi!

Just started using Shapespark for an architecture visualization project with a pretty large scene. Because of its size, light baking takes a lot of time on the outdated hardware I have running on my current desktop computer (Geforce GTX 670, i7-7700K CPU @ 4.2 GHz).

I’ve got a budget of approx 2000 eur, that I can use to purchase a new desktop workstation. I’m not super knowledgable when it comes to hardware and specs, so I was wondering if someone had any pointers/recommendations on which hardware I should prioritize (cost / benefit) to get the quickest bake?

1 Like

I would recommend prioritizing your GPU, an RTX2070 would be a nice middle ground of power and cost effectiveness. Also you want to have enough RAM to support CUDA rendering, so I would recomend 16-32GB of RAM.

With a 2000 eur budget you should be able to spec a nice machine. The link below is to a Dell XPS that would have all requirements you would need so that can give you an idea of what to look for.
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/desktop-computers/xps-desktop/spd/xps-8940-desktop/dtxd8940msr32h?view=configurations

Hope this helps :grinning:

3 Likes