Back to the Shapespark home page

Lightmap-settings.json question

Hi,

I notice in the lightmap-settings.json file there is a lightmap max size parameter. If I overwrite this value, will the engine respect the changes and allow for higher res lightmaps?

Cheers
Michael

This file stores lightmap-related settings used for the last bake. These stored settings are only used in the case when post-processing is launched manually for reasons described in this post.

Anyway, the maximum size of the lightmap is a depracated setting in this file, because Shapespark now always bakes lightmaps of at most 4k x 4k size. Using larger size would cause a risk the scene would not work, because according to WebGL Stats ~30% of devices still does not support larger texture sizes.

@wojtek I guess this also counts for all other maps? Like metallic or bump?

That’s a good point. I’m guessing the importer compresses all images higher than that res?

For other maps we use even a lower limit - 2048 to keep the scene download size within reasonable bounds.

The original input maps are automatically downscaled based on their UV mapping. For example, if one repetition of a tiled texture corresponds to 10cm in the model, there is no point in keeping the texture in 2k-resolution, because when the scene is viewed the repetition usually occupies only a small fraction of the screen. So, such a texture can be downscaled to a resolution much less than 2k. The goal here is to balance between high enough resolution and small scene download size.

@wojtek, would it be possible to make the down scaling overrideable on a material by material basis after import? For example I have a 1k towel texture which looks like a mess after auto downscaling.

Currently i’m using a workaround of importing a larger object with the same bitmap applied to it 1:1, resulting in no downscaling, and then hiding the unnecessary object.

It would be better if I could go click the problem object, go to the material tab, then click a checkbox “don’t downscale”, or max downscale % slider.

A global option would be good too, for scenarios where the scene is only a few small objects so doesn’t need any optimisation. For example a product showcase such as a watch or pair of shoes where the user would want to zoom in close.

Do you have the scene with the messy towel texture on our hosting? I would like to take a look at it, because from the description it sounds like it could be some bug.

Currently, we do not have plans for per-material setting of the downscaling factor. For now like you said, you can add a hidden mesh somewhere in the model with such a UV mapping that a small part of the texture covers a large mesh surface. This will ensure that the texture will not be downscaled.

We will consider a global downscaling setting, but for now the above workaround should also help for product showcases: you could duplicate the prodcut in a larger scale and hide it.

Hi Wojtek, i’ve just emailed you the fbx of the towel, the texture, and the way it should look.