My scene looks grainy

Hello, after previewing the scene, image doesn’t looks clear instead it creates a grainy image. I thought the issue is because of low light, so i increased the no. of lights in rooms. I have added 8 spot lights, 2 point, also increased the sky strength to 20 and sun’s strength to 25. but still the scene doesn’t looks clear and sharp.

Preview is primarily for quickly checking if the space is well-illuminated before the bake is started. Unlike baking, preview doesn’t use denoising, so the preview result is much noisier than the bake result at the same number of samples.

To reduce noise in preview you’d have to significantly increase the number of samples (~1000).

so if i bake the scene it’ll look sharp?

Yes, it will. Use 100 samples for draft bakes, and 400-800 for final bakes.

can you please explain me what is draft bake and final bake? i am new to this.

Draft bake = low-quality bake, final bake = high-quality bake.

1 Like

pls check also your windowglass material. Grain can come also from something like 0.03 opacity from glass material. You can adjust opacity again after lightbaking.

Hi @Lex,

Set “Isolate shadows” for “window glass” object on the objects tab.
Maximum light will always enter the space and you don’t have to think about the opacity of the glass and its changes before and after baking. :wink:
Does the glass on the window have a shadow on it and can it be excluded from the light map by setting the resolution to “0”? :thinking:

1 Like

Hi @vladan,
this is a much better solution for that problem :slight_smile:

1 Like