Occasional WebGL Problems

How do I set the lighimap resolution for an object? When I do to the Object tab and then select the object, it shows me the lightmap resolution for the scene but I do not seem to be able to set the resolution for just the object.

When I set the lightmap resolution for the scene to 50, I got a message that said the lightmapt resolution was too high for large objects (hat is what prompted the above question)?.

No, there is currently no way to disable full screen mode except for when the visualization is embedded in another website when you can skip the allowfullscreen iframe attribute.

A few line lowers in the tab you should see an option called Custom lightmap resolution. After enabling it you will be able to enter resolution for the selected object.

Sorry, I just found that as well. I need to do some “messing” with this. I am not sure which object is going to be the key here. After getting the previous message, I set the lightmap resolution on the Bake tab to 33 and still have the bleeding we discussed before. I am going to go that wall and try to bump up the resolution for that wall and see what happens.

I appreciate your patience and feedback…

Edit: I tried setting the custom lightmap resolution both for the wall and ceiling objects to 60 but has not helped much.

Now I see that in your scene Flood dark limit in the Bake tab is set to 0.3. Flood dark is a filter that floods all the dark pixels with the neighboring pixel colors. 0.3 is rather a very high value for this filter. It causes the pixels just under the building ceiling to be treat as dark and in result flooded with their neighbors, which happen to be bright purple pixels just over the ceiling.

In summary I would suggest:

• Using Lightmap resolution of 50 in the Bake tab.
  • Using Custom lightmap resolution of 10 for all the “terrain” and “surrounding” objects. Please note that the flat terrain in your scene consists an object visible from the top, and an object visible from the bottom. Both needs to have Custom lightmap resolution set.
  • Trying Flood dark limit of 0.08.

I tried the settings you suggested (lightmap resolution 50, custom lightmap resolution 10 for all of the terrain, flood dark limit of .08 and I went back to the wall and ceiling and removed the custom lightmap resolution and now I get the following message:

Not sure what to do next…

Edit: I did find and correct another error that was bugging me. Your changes did eliminate the bleeding I was seeing before. Cannot do a bake with the lightmap above 34 though.

Lightmap resolution is usually limited by the largest objects in the scene, because the automatic UV unwrapping has to fit the object inside a 4096x4096 lightmap texture.

So, you should double-check if you set the Custom lightmap resolution to 10 for the largest objects in the scene. In particular, if you move the camera below the terrain (PgDn) you will notice there is one more object that is called {Default}Scene which needs Custom lightmap resolution to be set.

Could not get the PgDn key to take me there so I went into the Objects tab, found the {Default}Scene and set it. Was then able to increase the Lightmap Resolution up to and it baked fine.

Thanks for pointing some of this stuff out. Wish I had been able to figure some of this out on my own. :slightly_smiling_face:

Made one more edit to my scene (probably the last one since my trial is expiring). I added a light probe to the large room in my model (tunnel area). I thought I might have to add multiple probes but one did much better than I expected. Even improved the looks in Edge but MUCH improved in Chrome.

Just for my education, is there a way to make some things show up a little lighter in the Top View?

No, currently any way of making something lighter (ie. Exposure in the Camera tab) will apply the change to all the views.

Keep adding more equipment and adding some enhancements to see how far I can go before I break it. :grinning:

Well, after adding some more equipment, I just got the WebGL problem message again. It must be related to the size of the file.

SketchUp .skp file is 33,840Kb

Here are some screen shots of some of the Shapespark files (did not capture all of them)

I did not upload this failed file…

BTW: When I click on the Edit link, I get that original image. I do not remember how to get past it so I can try again.

Is this a temporally problem? Working a lot with WebGL content, I’m sometimes able to put a browser in such state, but the browser restart helps in these cases.

Well, I just solved the problem. Couple of things I did:

• First, I just closed down Shapespark and then restarted and I could then get back into edit mode
  • Second step was to delete all of the shrubbery (trees and bushes) and I could then edit again. In fact, I just uploaded the most recent bake of the scene.

Since the 2nd step in particular seemed to resolve the main issue, I am wondering if there could be a different error/problem notice that better defined the problem. With the additional objects that are high poly, I guess I am exciding the capacity of the graphics card because I am using the CUDA for baking. Maybe I can make a 2nd copy with the extra stuff with the CPU and see if it works then.

I need to come up with a plan so I can figure out the best method for proceeding in the future. At some point, I want to be able to add some of the new interactivity. Now I need to go back and reread how to duplicate my model so I do not have to start over from scratch. :grinning:

How many triangles does the model with shrubbery have?

Well, I would have to back and rebuild the model in SketchUp. I guess I should have saved a copy before I deleted all of the shrubbery. I was hoping that the screen shot of the file structure I posted before would give you a clue. I am sure it was pretty darn big because each of the tress and bushes were not low poly. Would be nice if I could find some low poly shrubbery that also looked good.

Hi,

The number of triangles in the scene cannot be simply determined from the sizes of the scene files, because the files store only one copy of the geometrical data for multiple identical meshes in the scene. So, the size of the scene files would be roughly the same whether you have 1 tree or 100 identical trees.

As for trees I recall that there are some good low-poly models names “smart tree” in the 3D Warehouse: Search for smart tree | 3D Warehouse

For the bushes you could try to find some good ones by leveraging the new “Complexity” search filter of the 3D Warehouse. Maybe if you used 1k - 10k as the range for the number of polygons for “bush” you would spot models that are neither too simple nor too heavy.

The tress and etc. I had used before, I got from the 3D Warehouse. Downloaded some more and will see what I can produce. As always, I appreciate the feedback.