Update Lightprobe reflections when objects are turned off and on

Hello there!, is there a way to force the light probes to update/ regenerate. Every time turn off or show objects?, Ex. when I access a new view that has different objects could be the trigger, or changing materials.

Thanks!!

2 Likes

Depending on the device and the number of lightprobes in the model, the generation can take a couple of seconds, so it could make the experience laggy.

Hi @jan, but is there a possibility to engrave on the mirror surfaces two or more scenarios? when one has object changes that is necessary, otherwise it loses the magic!

2 Likes

I think that will be a great feature!
Also, having a light probe updated on the material change can be very important as well. (Especially for the mirror surfaces.)
If it can be an optional feature for both material changer and objects on/off, the users then would be able to decide whether the lag associated with the light probe update is justified.

If it’s too much work, can the light probe update be at least exposed in the Viewer API?

1 Like

I agree, I think we can live with a couple seconds lag if we can get the reflections to update. It is kind of breaking when we have a big mirror in a bathroom for example and we change the color of the walls or other big surfaces. Maybe implementing it as an optional feature would be great. Where only one lightprobe close to the mirror would be affected, as to not lag as much.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Light probes use Shapespark, Twinmotion, Unreal Engine.
However, it is not clear to me how three.js achieves the perfect mirror.
https://threejs.org/examples/#webgl_mirror

**updated:
This scene was done with babylon.js (open source):
http://3dprof.com/bocchi01/
The mirror is flat (I can’t notice spherical deformations) and follows changes in the scene.

1 Like

A correctly reflecting flat mirror can be achieved by rendering the scene additional time from behind the mirror position. The first demo scene that we have created before Shapespark was released as a product also had such mirrors:
Real-time apartment visualization by Formiko Design | Shapespark See mirrors by the kitchen table and in the bathroom.
We haven’t released support for such mirrors, because of performance concerns. One such mirror in a scene increases the number of rendering operations roughly 2x, because you need to render the scene again from a different camera position, so on slower devices one mirror can half the frame-rate.

1 Like

Thanks @jan,

This is exactly what our clients expect us to provide.
Certainly, after these 4 or more years of development Shapespark and customer devices are now much stronger and the speed of the internet.
I would be happy to turn on this mirror display again.

1 Like

We don’t have plans to develop the planar mirror effect for the current engine. This was just an old demo to answer your question how such effect is achieved. Based on the support requests that we receive, performance is still an important issue, and adding planar reflectors will not help to improve it.

Very sad notice @jan. Really we need improve quality and the mirror reflections is one of most wanted for clients :pensive: