Upcoming features preview: disable shadow casting and video textures

We would like to demo two features that will be available in the next Shapespark release:

1. You will be able to configure an object or a group of objects not to cast shadows on surrounding objects. Such objects will still receive shadows and cast shadows on themselves. This allows to hide and replace furniture using the existing Hide in views option without the hidden furniture leaving dark shadow spots.

2. You will be able to set an .mp4 or .ogv video file as a base color texture.

The demo is here: Example room by Shapespark

6 Likes

Nice.
Is the video a stream? Or is it possible to make it a stream?

The video is streamed, it isn’t fully downloaded before the scene is loaded.

If you are rather asking if you can include a live-stream video in the scene, then no, the video file is a part of the scene, it needs to exist when the scene is uploaded/bundled.

Seems all moving towards configurator functions.
Is there any simple tutorial to create such a configurator with Bill of Materials?

I just was concerned about the file size. Will the video also stream on mobile devices? And what will happen when the stream stops because of a lack of internet connection? Is there a placeholder image for that? Can I decide to have a stream only on a desktop PC?

What a nice surprise!
Can’t wait to try. I think using flame video for the fireplace would add some life to the scenes.
I have tried the scene on an old Note4 phone and it seems to be running smoothly.
Great job!

Amazing upgrade! The video is a hit! Could you imagine a pond surface with this!!! :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:
If you could think in video alpha channel support will be the best! may be this give you some tips https://forum.unity.com/threads/settings-for-importing-a-video-with-an-alpha-channel.457657/
rendering - Any Video formats that render with Alpha Channel? - Blender Stack Exchange

Shadows on/off is a great step to change furniture!!!
You guys are Always forward! :+1:t3::grinning:

We still need to test extensively on mobile, but because this uses HTML native video elements, it should stream on every browser that supports video. When the connection is slow it will behave like other HTML videos: frozen image, dropped frames. We don’t have support for replacement image.

For things like a part of a movie on screen the video doesn’t need to be large. The file in our demo has 4MB, which is smaller than an average lightmap.

1 Like

This is a GAME CHANGER

Outstandingly super cool!

When can we expect this to be released? :slight_smile:

We plan to release it by 20th Sept.

5 Likes

Just in time for me to add it to our demo for a trade show on the 25th! :smiley:

I like your program enhancements. Thank you!

Is the video link from a local server or YouTube?
What resolution do you recommend for video preparation?

1 Like

The video has to be provided as a local .mp4 or .ogv file when the scene is created. It then becomes a part of the scene, and is uploaded to our hosting for serving when the scene is uploaded.

Unlike static textures, video textures are not automatically downscaled, so it’s the responsibility of the scene author to use resolution appropriate to how large a video-animated surface is. For example, for the video played on the TV in the example mentioned above (Example room by Shapespark) is 854x480.

2 Likes

Hi @wojtek, the TV Screen in the SKP model has 137x79cm how do I know what kind of proportion in pixel I need to use? Can I will strech the video in Sketchup first to set up? or how I fit up the video in shapespark?

I think a good method might to extract one frame from the video, and apply it as a regular static texture in SketchUp. After you’re satisfied with the texture positioning and scaling, export the model to Shapespark, and substitute the static texture with the video texture.

1 Like

will you need to map the texture in 3dsmax first? or can I use an unmapped TV?

I’m really excited about this update, please release it on the 20th or sooner !!! o/

@Marcio_Moraes, the texture mapping has to be provided in the imported model, so yes, you need to map the texture in 3ds Max first.

1 Like