Upcoming features preview: disable shadow casting and video textures

When can we expect this to be released? :slight_smile:

We plan to release it by 20th Sept.

5 Likes

Just in time for me to add it to our demo for a trade show on the 25th! :smiley:

I like your program enhancements. Thank you!

Is the video link from a local server or YouTube?
What resolution do you recommend for video preparation?

1 Like

The video has to be provided as a local .mp4 or .ogv file when the scene is created. It then becomes a part of the scene, and is uploaded to our hosting for serving when the scene is uploaded.

Unlike static textures, video textures are not automatically downscaled, so it’s the responsibility of the scene author to use resolution appropriate to how large a video-animated surface is. For example, for the video played on the TV in the example mentioned above (Example room by Shapespark) is 854x480.

2 Likes

Hi @wojtek, the TV Screen in the SKP model has 137x79cm how do I know what kind of proportion in pixel I need to use? Can I will strech the video in Sketchup first to set up? or how I fit up the video in shapespark?

I think a good method might to extract one frame from the video, and apply it as a regular static texture in SketchUp. After you’re satisfied with the texture positioning and scaling, export the model to Shapespark, and substitute the static texture with the video texture.

1 Like

will you need to map the texture in 3dsmax first? or can I use an unmapped TV?

I’m really excited about this update, please release it on the 20th or sooner !!! o/

@Marcio_Moraes, the texture mapping has to be provided in the imported model, so yes, you need to map the texture in 3ds Max first.

1 Like

Thank you @wojtek for the feedback.
Non-standard dimensions, but also frame rates and application on not only flat surfaces, give us great opportunities.
Both announced enhancements are wonderful!

thank you very much, I will prepare my file

Shapespark 1.13.0 including these features is out.:slight_smile:

• Shapespark 1.13.0
  • Allow to edit position and rotation of lights and light probes with a 3D gizmo.

so can we rotate ? the light probes…do we need to press something to change from the move gizmo to rotate gizmo

This queston has been answered in the separate thread:

Really like the video texture feature
Do you think there will be an alpha channel video format to use in the future?

Unfortunately only WebM format supports alpha, but it doesn’t have wide browser support (for example Safari requires plugins to play it). We are considering adding an option to treat black video pixels as transparent, which would allow to have transparency effect with mp4.

4 Likes

Sounds like a good workaround!

That would be indeed helpful.

Excellent propousal, I hope you get it!