When/How to use Light Probes

Can someone point me to some good information about the Light Probes feature and how to add and edit them properly. I also could use a little more guidance on when to use them (yes, I did read the documentation in the Help file).

I notice that there is already one in my scene but I am not sure how it got there. I did try some editing but could not ascertain what my editing did.

Hi. You need light probes to get reflections. So each room should have one. Sometimes it makes sense to use one light probe for larger areas.
There was a discussion before on this topic. Have a look here:

1 Like

You might also take a look at this fragment of our video tutorial: Realtime Rendering Tutorial | Shapespark for Sketchup - YouTube

OK - Got it now…Thanks again for the great support.

It would be nice if there was a way to identify where, other than be the numbers, the light probe is located.

When you switch to the Light probe tab the light probes in your scene are visible in the viewport as spheres covered with mirror-like material.

One of my scenes the light probes was created automaticly after baking. And an other of my scenes, I had to create them my self.

What is the difference and when will the program create them by itself?

Shapespark editor tries to automatically place light probes in the scene when the scene is opened for the first time. However, the automatic room detection doesn’t always succeed, in which case you will have to place light probes yourself.

A good practice is to always inspect the automatically placed light probes to find if they need some tuning, and if it’s worth adding additional light probes manually.

1 Like