Mesh Deformed While Imported to Shapespark

Hello,
So, recently I’ve just got an issue where my mesh is deformed while it is imported to Shapespark

I have double-check the FBX by importing it into my 3D package, and it is fine. I also have tried to reduce the poly-count, converting it to tris on the 3D package, but still doesn’t work.
Thank you!

Hi @Arkan_Afif, welcome to the forum.

The deformation is caused by a quantization of of vertex positions - an optimization that Shapespark applies to decrease the scene size. However, such a significant deformation might mean that the imported model scale is incorrect. What intermediate 3D format did you use to transfer the model to Shapespark, and what unit did you choose?

Also, could you upload the model to our hosting and share a link, so we could take a closer look?

Hello, I tried to export the mesh with some different size (with the poly count remains the same). The deformation is gone as the mesh grow bigger and bigger. Seems like the problem could be eliminated by making the mesh bigger or increasing the FBX export scale.

Here is the side-by-side comparison between the smallest mesh & the biggest mesh size:

Here is the link:

1. Shapespark scene:
    https://viseworks.shapespark.com/light_switch___electric_socket2/
  2. FBX & BLEND file (if necessary):
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=18aS5q609v8Vh3GRVHHqi0xt-Y--_Cd5G

Thank you! :grinning:

1 Like

Hi @Arkan_Afif,
In the beginning of my work with Shapespark, I also noticed this problem. It disappears when the whole scene increase. Then you also need to increase the light and speed of the camera, but you must reduce the resolution of the shadow in this case.
Increase 5x will give precision below 1 mm.

However, I believe that you will avoid high poly models in practice as your scene will be too large to load and slow to display.
Quantization of the vertex position is a great solution from Shapespark with the aim of optimizing the scene. If you have a scene with over 3,000,000 vertexes, 9,000,000 characters are reduced by quantization!

2 Likes

@Vladan okay, thank you very much for the insight! I’ll take note of it :grinning:

@Arkan_Afif, thanks for sharing the model. The scale is correct. So, to avoid deformations introduced by quantization for such a high-poly mesh (especially when compared to its real-world size) you can use the technique described by @Vladan. That said, if you want to use a switch as a part of an online interior scene, it’d be better to take a simpler model with much less polygons.

1 Like

Here is a link to a scene that has been magnified 5x:

(the work is older, some details I would do better now)

You would be interested how it looks.

I don’t have a VR headset. Can I get feedback on any problems in that mode?

3 Likes

Hi @Vladan, I just saw your scene with my Samsung Odyssey lenses and it looks great, all the details and shines look great, I even noticed some glitter on the couch cushions.

But I also saw the bedroom paintings and TV image have a poor resolution, I guess when you enlarge the scene you should pay attention to the size and resolution of them.

(@wojtek) :arrow_right: I also noticed something curious: when I try to change materials in the bathroom, the spheres have different sizes! the spheres to change the wall material are very small! I’ve never seen that before!

I recorded this exercise, I hope it’s helpful

2 Likes

Thank you @jorgearq ,

For the first time now I see my work through VR headset. I was not instructed in the system of work of that device and I was more worried about the height of the view.

I remember that I tried to replace those pictures, but I didn’t find better resolutions on Google (the client provided such a scene, I replaced or repaired many other details).

Later I continued working with normal dimensions. I realized that visitors pay attention to beautiful interiors and not to small things.

1 Like

In the VR mode the material picker spheres have the same size as the trigger sphere, so to enlarge them the trigger sphere must be enlarged.

1 Like

Hi @Vladan, I’m glad I could show you your work with the VR lenses, I hope I can make other better videos later.

This video was made sitting in my house at night and it doesn’t show how to move around in the virtual space, I was always sitting and that’s why you see a wrong height. Also, I couldn’t show you the natural movement of walking through space, I didn’t have enough real space around me to do it.

The images in the paintings are just an observation, I think that those of us who use Shapespark are quite critical of those things but we also see the good things, for example, the brightness of the lamps in the room, the transparency of the glass (in the dining table, in lenses and the bookcase in the corner) also the brightness of the fiber of the cushions, the wooden texture of the ornaments, the metallic shine of the sink and some other metallic things. I write this down explicitly because sometimes I have a tendency to point out only the bad and not the good things.

2 Likes

Hi @jorgearq ,
I really don’t mind strong criticism. These lines will be read by new users and I hope it will be useful for them as well.
Much later, I saw a better glass solution given by @wojtek:

1 Like

@wojtek
Is there a chance that we can select the amount of quantization for the vertex during the import somewhen in the future?

@tim, we haven’t considered adding such a feature in the near future. Could you share a link to the scene so we could take a look at the deformation? Perhaps the issue can be approached from a different angle.