Shapespark releases

We’ve just released Shapespark 1.14.0 with the following list of changes:

• A Revit add-in for exporting models to Shapespark. The add-in is installed automatically when Shapespark is installed or updated.
  • Improved VR-mode support for gamepads and VR controllers:
    • Switch to previous and next views with controllers.
    • Walk with controllers.
    • Change height with controllers.
    • Disable gaze teleport if a controller is detected.
  • A water material with animated waves.
  • Add acceleration while turning left/right with keyboard and gamepad to make the camera movement smoother.
  • Support for saving screenshots in the viewer with the p key (not only in the editor).
  • Enable 360 panorama pictures generated in the Shapespark editor ( p key) to be recognized as 360 photos by Google Photos.
  • Faster exports from SketchUp to Shapespark for models with large number of textures.
  • Fix video textures loading problems on iOS devices.
  • Fix VR screen freeze on mobile Chrome for scenes with video textures.
6 Likes

Very nice improvements👍🏼
Thanks for google photos recognition :clap:t3:
How can I use the water material? :thinking:
Can I insert lights directly from revit? :bulb:

The water material needs a normal map for the wave types. Is this a real normal map which is here required or just a height map?

you can switch between the material types to have access to the settings:

1 Like

No, but we are considering adding such a feature in one of the future versions.

Currently, only the Sun position is imported from Revit.

This is a real normal map. You can find the built-in water-waves normal map in the raw\textures subdirectory of a scene, if the scene uses this texture.

Okay. So can we then expect that normal maps for other surfaces will also come soon?

Very nice update!
Screenshot function works great, very useful.

What is the maximum resolution for the screenshot?
It seems that I’m not able to generate panoramas over 4K resolution.
Looks like browser’s memory limit most likely.

The maximum resolution depends on a system. Memory limit is one factor that can limit the resolution, maximum render buffer size is another. According to: http://webglstats.com/webgl/parameter/MAX_RENDERBUFFER_SIZE about 30% of systems do not allow to render to targets larger than 4K.

Unfortunately not. We still do not have short-term plans for using normal & bump maps with static baked lighting (more info in this post: Normal maps in Shapespark - #4 by wojtek).

The water material already uses normal map, because in this case the dynamic lighting (reflections based on light probe images) is prevailing, so they work well even without static baked lighting support.

Improved VR-mode support for gamepads and VR controllers:

• Switch to previous and next views with controllers.
  • Walk with controllers.
  • Change height with controllers.
  • Disable gaze teleport if a controller is detected.

I recently had the opportunity to see a scene in virtual reality with the new driver update, just excellent !! The possibility of moving smoothly through space with control is a great advance, I really thank you

Could you share a video showing this? And what device used please?

We’ve just released Shapespark 1.15.0 with the following list of changes:

• Location-dependent camera settings. Allows to set different camera exposure in different regions of a scene. Especially useful for mixed exterior-interior scenes to prevent overexposed exterior or too dark interior.
  • Switch to the Basis Universal texture compression format which reduces the scene download size. The three separate compressed formats for different device types (DXT, ETC1, PVRTC) are no longer generated.
  • Switch VR mode to use the WebXR browser API instead of the older WebVR API. The switch fixes skewed render scale in VR mode that made room dimensions feel unrealistic on some devices. VR mode now requires HTTP’S connection (WebXR requirement).
  • Enable material picker to work in VR mode.
  • Automatically adapt VR mode camera height to match the user eye height if the VR device provides such information.
  • Request access to orientation and motion sensors when the user enters VR mode on an iOS 13 device. The user no longer has to change Safari settings prior to entering VR mode (such settings change is still required on earlier iOS versions).
  • Improve self-hosting bundles format to work out-of-the-box with more HTTP server configurations.
  • A larger selection of icons to be used on clickable anchors in scenes.
  • Improve numerical slider in the editor.
  • More intelligent model updates to facilitate creation of custom importers.
5 Likes

Great work guys, a lot of nice improvements!
A question:
Will a scene generated with the new version of Shapespark work with the previous version of the viewer? (walk.min.js)
Thanks

@korop it won’t, there are format changes (such as Basis texture compression format) that require the new version of the viewer.

Got it,
Thanks, Jan.
I appreciate your prompt response.

Great release! Thank you!

Glad to see the location-dependent camera settings. Will give it a try today with our new interior-exterior project that is currently in the works.

1 Like

Lots of VR improvements :heart_eyes: Great work guys.
Just a quick question since now WebXR is implemented which requires HTTP’S connection, How do i access the files locally in VR? As i cant VR button now when i open scene locally on VR after the update.

We’ll add an exception for localhost, so that HTTPS is not required when a scene is opened locally (fortunately, browsers allow for VR in insecure connections to localhost). The fix will be included in the next application release.

1 Like

Excellent improvements! I´m exiting to prove this

• Enable material picker to work in VR mode.
  • Automatically adapt VR mode camera height to match the user eye height if the VR device provides such information.
    I need to redo the old scenes to prove it?

Scenes on Shapespark hosting and your computer are always automatically migrated to use new functionality. Scenes on customer’s own hosting servers need to be manually updated because they embed a fixed version of the JavaScript viewer.

1 Like